UAFS Art & Design Artist In Residence (AIR) Program – Spring 2023 ($20,000 stipend)
Deadline: August 15, 2022
Applications are open for the 2023 Art & Design Artist In Residence (AIR) program at the University of Arkansas Fort Smith (UAFS). The program offers visual artists and designers the opportunity to relocate to Fort Smith, Arkansas, to contribute and participate in meaningful ways. in the creative culture of the Art & Design department of the UAFS.
Recipients will be active professionals in their respective fields and will encourage the growth and development of the UAFS program. This program aims to enrich the student experience, breadth of knowledge, and connection to creative communities while providing meaningful support for residents’ creative practice.
Additionally, residents will have access to and be able to participate in the development of interdisciplinary initiatives and cross-departmental programs on the UAFS campus. The UAFS AIR program seeks to proactively maintain the value of diverse perspectives, identities, expertise, and experiences; members of marginalized and historically excluded populations are encouraged to apply.
- UAFS Art & Design will support resident practices through material support for the development of new work while emphasizing meaningful connections with students, educational programs, and the campus community.
- Residents will benefit from workspace and access to studios and equipment in the Windgate Art & Design Building, family-friendly private housing close to campus, travel to and from Fort Smith, a generous stipend of $20,000 and a material budget.
- Residents will host artist-led workshops and programs, public lectures, scheduled engagements with relevant classes, and open studio hours. Additionally, residents will be encouraged to donate their work to the UAFS Art Collection in consultation with the UAFS Art Gallery Director.
- Graphic designers
- Bachelor’s degree minimum, plus five (5) years of experience in the field or master’s degree; in exceptional cases, a significant record of professional achievement in lieu of academic degrees.
- Workshop artists
- MFA required; active record of comparable public exhibitions or engagements
- Applicants who have experience working with post-secondary students are preferred.
Required application materials include:
- A bio (less than 300 words)
- A single pdf containing your CV
- A portfolio of 10 to 15 works
- Links to your website and social media channels
- Contact information for two (2) professional references
- Three suggestions:
- Creative work proposal (
- Describe the work you plan to perform, including project schedule(s)
- Student Engagement Proposal (
- Define: Courses, disciplines and/or programs relevant to your proposal (both disciplines inside and outside the Art and Design department)
Click here to apply
For more information, visit UAFS Art & Design AIR program.