Design Intern – Virginia Beach, VA, USA | Works
Virginia Beach, Virginia, USALocation:
Fri 18 February ’22Posted on:
Job opening: February 10, 2022
Closing of the position: until it is filled
Clark Nexsen is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or adult status. protected veteran. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-check. Applicants must be legally authorized to work for Clark Nexsen Inc. without employer sponsorship. We generally do not sponsor H-1B or any other work visa applications.
Must apply online through the website at www.clarknexsen.com.
When you come to work for Clark Nexsen, you experience a collaborative and entrepreneurial environment where imaginative thinking is encouraged and supported. We are a national, transdisciplinary architecture, engineering and consulting firm, but we believe that our role in making the world a better place goes beyond design. Our vision and values guide our culture, our work and our commitment to giving back to our communities through volunteerism and charitable giving.
With 11 offices spanning Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee and Texas, our people shape the future by uncovering opportunities to transform the way we live and experience our world. We believe the best ideas come from collaboration, working across disciplines to inspire innovation and deliver high-performance projects for US and global clients.
We are looking to hire a Creative Design Intern in our Virginia Beach, VA; Raleigh, North Carolina; Asheville, NC or Charlotte, NC offices that share our commitment to design excellence, sustainability, and innovation through our 2022 Summer Fellowship Program. You will join a team of architects and designers, working in a multidisciplinary, collaborative and engaging team environment that draws on multiple perspectives in the search for innovative solutions. As part of this team, you will have the opportunity to shape architectural projects in a variety of typologies and scales for clients including educational and cultural institutions, commercial developers, government entities and local communities. The ideal candidate for this role will be energetic and passionate about design, committed to quality, committed to team, office and corporate initiatives, able to work independently and as part of a team, and able to prioritize work .
General responsibilities, including but not limited to:
- Collaborate with project teams during the design phases of the project, including programming, concept development, schematic design, design development, and construction documentation
- Develop design sketches, renderings, models, graphics, presentation materials, analysis and construction drawings and schedules
- Participate in the construction administration of projects, including site visits, review of bids and answering questions from contractors
- Communicate and engage with a wide variety of stakeholders including clients, owners, users, team members, consultants, contractors and regulators to achieve overall project goals
- Contribute to office activities, initiatives and participation in continuous learning
- Helping to achieve great projects with a sense of energy, passion and personal responsibility
Education, technology and experience
- Currently enrolled as a full-time student in a NAAB-accredited program as listed below:
- Students who have completed at least three years in an accredited 5-year Bachelor of Architecture (B Arch) program.
- Students who have completed at least one year in an accredited Master of Architecture (M Arch) program.
- Students who have completed their BS Arch (or equivalent) degree and have been accepted to attend an accredited Master of Architecture (M Arch) program commencing no later than September 1, 2022.
- Previous experience in an architectural practice or related field will be particularly appreciated
- Exposure to 3D modeling, visualization and graphics software; Revit, Rhino, Grasshopper, Lumion, Enscape, Twinmotion and Adobe Suite are strongly preferred
- Construction of physical models, experience in a model building workshop is strongly preferred
- Excellent graphic, drawing and presentation skills
- Ability and experience in producing quality construction documents, solid understanding of construction details, construction principles and practices
- Exposure to environmental analysis applications such as Climate Studio, Sefaira, Insight360 and Lady Bug/Honeybee is a plus
- Commitment to sustainable design principles and interest in obtaining LEED AP, WELL AP and/or Green Globes accreditation
Additional knowledge, skills and abilities
- Effective communication skills
- Problem solving skills and attention to detail
- Collaborative and professional work ethic
- Ability to exercise judgment and discretion, set priorities and manage competing demands
- Self-starter with ability to manage own time and function with some degree of autonomy
- Ability to effectively meet deadlines with the expected quality
- Motivated by continuous growth and development through mentorship, knowledge acquisition and training
The work is sedentary and often performed in an office. The work area is lighted, heated and ventilated. This position may require long periods of standing, sitting, as well as repetitive motions, bending, and lifting with minimal weight. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Selection will be based on your application, CV and portfolio. To be considered, you will need to submit a portfolio with your application according to the following parameters:
- Single file in PDF format
- Maximum file size: 10 MB
- No page limits, provided file size restrictions are followed
- Portfolios must be submitted electronically. We will not accept or consider paper portfolios.