Design Education Fellow – Los Angeles, CA, USA | Works
Los Angeles, California, United StatesLocation:
Tue 12 Jul ’22Posted on:
NuVuX is looking for a Design Education Fellow with a passion for design, technology, and education to join our team as an instructor at our partner school, Odyssey STEM Academy in Los Angeles, CA. In this role, you will join a unique and highly qualified cohort of scholars who lead programs in NuVuX’s growing network of partner schools around the world.
Why NuVuX – Odyssey STEM Academy?
Odyssey STEM Academy is a public school in the Paramount Unified School District. NuVuX manages the Idea Lab creative space on the Odyssey campus and works collaboratively with Grade 9 teachers to develop an interdisciplinary, project-based curriculum. The NuVuX Design Fellow teaches all 9th grade Odyssey students by exposing them to the design process, prototyping techniques, and digital fabrication. As a Title 1 public school, Odyssey STEM Academy’s mission is to mentor every student on the path to college readiness and career success.
Once here, you will:
Working with Odyssey staff and the NuVuX team, you will be a key resource for students and teachers in designing and executing design projects during the school year.
- Develop and teach studios on a wide range of subjects at the 9th grade level with support from the NuVuX team.
- Guide and mentor students through the design process: brainstorming, research, prototyping, fabrication, documentation, and presentation.
- Collaborate with a diverse group of stakeholders, including the Odyssey team, experts from various fields, and local organizations and partners.
- Support the collaboration of Odyssey Grade 9 teachers to create an interdisciplinary studio experience.
All our team members:
- Have a passion for working with teenage students and teachers.
- Thrive while working collaboratively with a diverse group of people in a dynamic, critical and highly creative environment.
- Bring unique skills, perspectives and experiences to our organization.
- Are enthusiastic and creative makers of things.
- Are lifelong learners who are enthusiastic about expanding their own knowledge and creativity.
- An undergraduate or graduate degree in a design or design/technology field such as architecture, computer design, or industrial design, or equivalent experience.
- Proficiency in design, programming, electronics and digital manufacturing expertise.
- Excellent understanding of the design and manufacturing process: brainstorming, ideas and prototyping.
- Ability to think both conceptually and concretely about projects.
- Teaching experience.
- Strong writing and graphic communication skills.
NuVuX is an initiative developed by NuVu to bring design, creativity and innovation to schools and organizations around the world. NuVu was founded to rigorously mentor students to develop innovative approaches to real-world problems, which we believe is an essential skill set for success beyond high school. Our pedagogy is grounded in the principles of the architectural studio model and focuses on hands-on learning by doing under the guidance of experts. Through multidisciplinary projects, we help students navigate the mess of the creative process through collaboration, iterative design, and critique.
Through NuVuX, we offer a number of programs and consulting services for educators, schools, and professional organizations looking to learn, improve, or implement innovation and creativity practice. NuVuX consists of several components that are implemented collectively for greater impact, including: curriculum and program development, on-site experts, remote support, professional development, and a studio management platform on line.
How to apply?
To apply, please send a CV, design portfolio and letter of interest to email@example.com
View your application history